Sunday, March 29, 2009

this one's for the nerds in the house


So, last night, when I had gotten as far as I could stand it with unraveling U.S. Govt public policy and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (paper writing season), I popped in this documentary, Spellbound. It follows 8 gifted spellers from their homes to Washington D.C. where they were all competing in the National Bee. Anthropologically it was entertaining to see what effects socioeconomic status, schools, families, hopes, and fears had on these children.

Helen and I both LOVE words. And nerdy competitions. I just really felt for these kids, I really got into it. That's not to say that I didn't fall asleep halfway through (I did), but when I woke up at 6:30 for no apparent reason other than finding myself still downstairs, on the couch- I found where I had drifted off and watched another 20 minutes (before I fell asleep again).

No comments: